MusiCamp is a summer day camp experience that explores music making in a positive environment, filled with activities that build your child’s musical skills in an intuitive and fun way. The activities are designed to supplement traditional formal musical training but also be accessible to the less experienced music enthusiasts.
Weekly themes like The Blues, Singer-Songwriter or West African Drumming provide musical direction to the week, which is further supplemented with craft making (instruments and masks) and stories that broaden the child’s cultural and historical understandings of music and society.
It all culminates in a end of week performance to which parents and friends are welcomed to attend. No instrument needed. No formal musical training. All that’s needed is a love for music, the willingness to explore the voice in all its beauty and rawness, and the readiness to be a part of an exciting and affirmative team!
To Register or view this year’s themes
click on the links in the sidebar
The primary focus is on fun music making. Yet by the end of the week, and without even realizing it, your child will develop:
- a better sense of pitch and rhythm
- a better understanding of mode and meter
- improvisational and compositional skills
- her/his ability to hear and focus
- creative problem solving skills
- team cooperation and collaborative skills
- discipline, self expression and confidence.
Weekly Musical games and activities include:
- beatboxing, solkatu (vocal rhythms from South India) and other rhythm games and excercises
- Bobby McFerrin styled circle songs and an improvising choir
- soundwalks and soundscape compositions
- instrument making
- end of week performances
- and many more activities centred on the theme of the week.
Weekly non-musical activities include:
- visits to Dufferin Grove Park (especially for Wednesday pizza lunches – yumm!)
- backyard games and water fun
- hanging out under the grape vines.
EXTENDED HOURS AVAILABLE!!
Flexible extended care is available from 8:30am to 6pm that can be scheduled for only the days and times you need it. Please contact MusiCampTO@gmail.com for more information.
SCHEDULE, LOCATION, REGISTRATION INFO
The camp is located in a newly renovated studio in a private home on a quiet cul-de-sac close to Dufferin Mall (Dufferin and Bloor).
Andrea Kuzmich, the camp director, is an award winning singer, ethnomusicologist (PhD candidate), teacher, and mother of two boys. Drawing on the wealth of these experiences, she offers an exciting, educational and culturally rich week of musical activities.
Have a listen to “ICE CREAM” a song campers created during Composition & Song Week! It’s such a good song, Andrea has incorporated it into her regular repertoire and the other day, while playing at Unionville Farmer’s Market, the market manager was so inspired, he bought ice cream for all the vendors and volunteers!